It’s the last week of February (does anyone else have trouble typing out the name of that month?) How did you do on your resolutions this month? I’ll be honest with you, I did pretty terrible. But I’m ready to pick back up and try again in March!
1. The 52 Weeks to an Organized Home Challenge. I felt like I sort of cheated this month in this area. This is the first week of the month that actually applied to me! The first three weeks were organizing recycling and composting, organizing your coupons, and organizing your meal planning and grocery shopping. We do not recycle (which should probably be a resolution sometime in the future!) since we do our best to not use things which are harmful to the planet. We use either re-usable grocery bags (like Envirosax) or paper bags which then get re-used as garbage bags around the home. Many of the plastic storage containers we get our food in are cleaned and reused as storage for dried beans and pastas. And we have a lame clause in our HOA rules that does not allow composting except in a pre-approved container (and I don’t want to spend $100+ dollars for one). I do not coupon since we do not have a printer, nor do we receive the daily/weekly paper. I did clean up our kitchen garbage can area and find a better storage place for our paper bags. I already have a system in place for meal planning and grocery shopping, so I only needed to do a bit of tweaking in that area. Simple! This week, the final week of February, is all about organizing your contacts. I began this morning by compiling a list of addresses and phone numbers for a sheet to go on the fridge – family, doctors, things like a plumber or poison control. Eventually, I’d like to make an address book, but the lady running the challenge did say this week’s challenge will be an ongoing thing as people move or we need to add/subtract contacts. So a work in progress.
2. Go see one movie in theaters this month with my husband. We went to see The Secret World of Arietty, and I absolutely loved it. It’s based on the children’s book “The Borrowers” and is a fabulous addition to the Studio Ghibli family. I can’t wait to own it! (And believe me, just ask Husband about how much I don’t really care to own movies). I am enjoying picking a movie to go see with Husband each month and getting some time where we can relax, even if we don’t get much chance to talk. I’m looking forward to next month – any suggestions of movies to see?
3. Read 25 books in 2012. I made huge progress on this goal. I read FIVE books this month. Granted, most of them were Young Adult books, but I did make some progress on “War and Peace” too. I also picked up a few books on Christian living and am enjoying them quite a bit.
4. Set a bedtime and routine. Here is where I failed completely. LP’s sleeping schedule is such that even if I did get into bed with the lights off at 10:30, she wakes up between 11:30 and midnight for a feeding. Due to some health concerns with her, we are not supposed to start weaning her until the end of next month, nor deny her any chance she wants to eat, so I found myself simply waiting up until after her feeding session to go to sleep. And once the bedtime fell by the wayside, the routine suffered as well. I think I’m going to re-visit this resolution in April, when we have the go-ahead to start weaning LP and I will have at least one less obstacle to keeping my monthly resolution.
5. Switch to more cost-efficient and safe cleaning supplies. I did make progress on this one. I over-estimated our usage of laundry detergent, so we still have a large container to go through before I start using homemade detergent again. I did use our homemade anti-bacterial and all-purpose cleaners this month and I have a recipe for homemade dishwasher soap I would like to try soon. I also have the ingredients for homemade shower cleaner and grease cutter/glass cleaner, I just need to find squeezie bottles at the store that are heavy duty.
6. Make a will. Husband’s workplace rolled out a new program for employees just in time for us to do this during February. I filled out all the paperwork yesterday and it simply needs to be notarized and filed. I can still edit it if you’d like to make any requests! (Sorry, LP is spoken for 😉 )
Hopefully my March resolutions will be posted this week!